Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 36: 7/23/12

Today we rode 110 miles from Valparaiso to Kendallville.  The day began with rain, therefore making the railroads slick.  I was riding behind Jeffrey around mile 25 when I watched him slip on the tracks and go down.  Unfortunately, I was already concentrating on making it over the tracks safely so my reaction time was delayed after crossing.  I saw Jeffrey down and slid to avoid him getting road rash on my knee and elbow.  I did not break a nail though.  The self proclaimed turtles came up on the wreck, and Molly also went down on the tracks.  Gene cleaned my wounds at lunch.  After that excitement, the sun came out.  It became exceptionally hot.  I was also frightened by a dog at mile 70.  Things got better towards the end.  I found an ice cream shop with sea salt Carmel nut 12 miles from camp.  I was glad to make it into camp.  Since we lost an hour entering eastern time, I had just enough time to shower before dinner which was catered by the chamber of commerce.  Even the mayor came out to eat with us.  She was a very pleasant retired marine.  I quickly set up my tent so Gene, Reesh, Sarah, Cam, and I went into town to see the dark knight rises as this cute old local theater.  It was cash only, and we just barely had enough.  The movie was really good!!!  By the time we got out it was cool enough to consider sleep and that is just what we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment